Terry Coles was diagnosed with an incurable lung disease caused by asbestos.
His wife Sheila, of Ipswich, said: “When we were told there was no treatment that would cure Terry we just didn’t know what to do. It was like a bombshell and then the district nurse told us about the Hospice at Home team. They came round to see Terry and were great. He wanted to stay at home as much as possible but he was getting very anxious. The nurses knew exactly what to do to and advised me as well.”
As Terry worsened he was admitted to St Elizabeth Hospice’s in-patient unit and he died aged 63 on March 16th 2008. Sheila was offered family support and has been raising money for the hospice ever since.
She recalled: “There was nothing too much trouble for the staff there. We were allowed to stay with him whenever we wanted, they were so kind. I had never heard of the hospice before and now I don’t know what we would have done without it.”