Janine and Leray McKenna together at Zest, which provides social clubs, short breaks and clinical help for patients aged 14+
"When Leray was at East Anglia's Children's Hospice, we were recommended to continue her care through Zest at St Elizabeth Hospice.
Since coming to Zest, Leray has greatly benefited from the services.
Through Zest, she has gained more independence through the short breaks and has been able to access a more sociable side of life. She always makes new friends whenever she comes here.
From my perspective, it gives me a rest and benefits the whole family. Doing her care is a 24 hour job so having Zest there means that Leray can enjoy the services and I can spend more time with her younger siblings.
People should support Zest because it enables those with additional needs to have independence, improve their confidence and social skills and vitally supports the entire family as well."
Find out more on Zest services here and how you can help.
Fundraise for us
The COVID-19 pandemic has hugely affected our fundraising this year.
70% of our income comes from us raising money so 2020 has been particularly difficult with popular events, such as the Midnight Walk, being postponed or cancelled entirely.
- £15 could fund a takeaway meal for young adults whilst staying on a short break
- £829 could fund a Zest X-Change group for one evening, bringing young people together who are living with a life-limiting condition
- £1,548 could fund a young person having a weekend 2-night short break giving them time with friends and building their independence as well as giving parents some respite.
You can still help us though by fundraising through a variety of ways:
- Donate to our Here Together appeal - we're aiming to raise £250,000. Can you help us reach the target? This appeal is in response to coronavirus affecting our work across the region.
- Take part in our lottery and win a weekly prize of £1500
- Create your own virtual fundraiser on Facebook
- Make some cake and hold your own Home for Tea party
- Shop on Amazon Smile and they will donate to us
- Want to make a regular or one-off donation? Click here to donate vital funds to us