If you are experiencing problems booking a course please email Education@stelizabethhospice.org.uk, clearly stating the name of the course, the date of the course you wish to attend, your name and contact details.
This course is only available to those who have been sent an invitation to attend. Please quote your booking reference / coupon code number on your invitation.
St Elizabeth Hospice, part of Hospice Education, in partnership with NHS SNEE ICB (Ipswich and East Suffolk Alliance), is pleased to offer this training opportunity free of charge.
This course is available to registered nurses from the community and nursing home settings, Primary Care Paramedics and Physician Associates working in the Ipswich and East Suffolk area.
The VOED course enables a registered nurse (or other registered healthcare professional) to verify an expected death, within the conditions set by the nursing midwifery council (NMC). It outlines the differences between expected death and other patterns of dying, and reviews terms such as palliative, terminal, end of life and dying and death, so as a registered healthcare professional you can confidently and competently verify an expected death.
This course is delivered in two parts:
Part 1 – A three hour workshop session (with an option to attend face to face or online) which will:
- Provide you with knowledge and guidance on VOED
- Ensure understanding of your role as a registered healthcare professional in VOED
- Provide you with information on the legal requirements and the skills required
- Clarify the importance of documentation
- Include discussion on the requirements for your VOED Portfolio
- Provide an opportunity to discuss those uncomfortable conversations.
Part 2 – VIVA – Having completed part 1 (including your portfolio)
You will attend a 30 minute online session (VIVA) to review your ‘self-assessment homework’ and answer questions which will test your knowledge and understanding. You will have participated in and passed the VIVA to be certified as competent in carrying out Verification of Expected Death.
The Part 2 VIVA date and time, will be agreed with the facilitator following completion of Part 1.
Face to Face sessions will be at The Education Department, St Elizabeth Hospice, 565 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LX.
Dates and Times
- 14th February 2024 from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm via MS Teams
- 6th March 2024 from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm at The Education Department,at St Elizabeth Hospice, 565 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LX
- 9th April 2024 from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm via MS Teams
- 1st May 2024 from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm at The Education Department,at St Elizabeth Hospice, 565 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LX
- 5th June 2024 from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm via MS Teams
- 3rd July 2024 from 1.00 am to 4.00 pm at The Education Department,at St Elizabeth Hospice, 565 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LX
- 4th September 2024 from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm via MS Teams
- 7th November 2024 from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm at The Education Department,at St Elizabeth Hospice, 565 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LX
It is important for Hospice Education that we are able to include everyone with different backgrounds and make the education experience accessible for all. If you have any special requirements or need any reasonable adjustments to be made please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of attending the training.
Please note: The information given when booking this course will be used to book your place onto the course. Your training status may be shared with your line manager. Only anonymous information will be passed to SNEE ICB. The Hospice will not use your information for direct marketing unless you have given us permission to do so.
Any other queries should also be directed to the email address above.